Take a second and think about everything that happened this past year:
What was the best thing that happened to you in 2021?
What's something that you do or like now that you didn't at the beginning of the year?
Is there something you wish you had experienced more of this year?
2021 is coming to an end. The page is turning. A fresh start is on the horizon! The start of a new year is such a motivational time for all of us. When we reflect on the past year, we can't wait to challenge ourselves to be better or do better this year than we did last year. (After all, we had a whole year of learning from our mistakes and trying new things!)
At the start of the year, promising to make this the year we lose weight, get in shape, eat healthier, or start a diet sounds great. These lofty goals can quickly leave us feeling like we bit off more than we can chew. So, what will make this year any different? All of us at O2 Fitness are here to help you with our top tips for making the best New Year's resolution for 2022 and how you can keep working on them all year long!
Tips for making your New Year's resolution:
1. Think Big.Your life, your dreams, your potential is HUGE. It's bigger than you even imagined! With all of the new technology and knowledge the world has to offer, our chances to do something we find actually amazing are higher than ever. Challenge yourself to think beyond "losing x amount of weight by 2023."
2. Get Specific.Want to run a marathon? Want to become vegetarian? Want to be able to lift double your bodyweight? The best New Year's resolutions comes from goals that are concrete and do-able. The more specific you are, the easier it will be for you to narrow down your goal even further and create a realistic, step-by-step plan.
3. List Why You Should Not Do It.Yes, you read that right! When you list out your why nots, you will begin to see the habits and abilities that your resolution will be testing. Anticipating the problems you may face lets you create a better plan of attack and prepare coping methods or alternatives for issues you're expecting to pop-up.
4. Make a Detailed Plan.Research what you want to do and gather the materials you need before getting started. Decide how or how frequently you plan to work on your resolution. Decide what are some accomplishments that you will look for as milestones of your progress. Consider ways to keep yourself on track when difficulties or the unexpected occurs.
5. Set a Start Date.
There's no rule that say you have to start your New Year's resolution on New Year's Day. After making it through a hectic holiday season, you'll find more success in picking a day where you are well-rested, hydrated, and excited to get started!
Tips for keeping your New Year's resolution:
1. Talk About It.Tell your family, friends, strangers on Facebook, or anyone else you can think of about the New Year's resolution you chose for this year. You've already committed yourself to working towards this goal in your mind, so tell people what you're doing to keep yourself accountable for working towards it.
2. Find a Supporter.The reason we've heard about the buddy system so long is because it works! Surrounding yourself with people that are working towards the same goal or their own goals can help keep you motivated and having fun!
3. Reward Yourself.Starting with small rewards while you're getting started make for a fun bit of motivation to keep working. Reward yourself with a special coffee order, a special recovery session, or anything small that makes you happy! As time goes on, you can begin to give yourself rewards for major milestones and eventually anniversaries (after all you earned it!)
4. Forget Perfection.
Life isn't always perfect, so don't forget to remind yourself it's ok to fail! If you missed a workout or ate something unhealthy, don't tear yourself down over it. Take note of the situation that caused your set back and learn from it. Perseverance is key - keep trying and you will find success!
Still looking for some inspiration for your 2022 New Year's Resolution? Check out our list of 22 New Year's Resolutions for a Healthier 2022 or schedule a session with a personal trainer to talk about your goals and have a plan created specifically for you!