We all know it's bad for us. We've experienced the dreaded crash, and we know it's empty calories(no vitamins, no minerals!). Still, we crave it. So instead of trying to eliminate sugar completely, try a smarter substitute.
5 Sugar Substitutes:
1) Maple Syrup: This ultra sweet syrup comes directly from a tree's sap and is loaded with antioxidants. When shopping for maple syrup, just be sure you're buying pure maple syrup! It will say so on the label.
2) Honey: Honey is often used in cooking and as a natural health remedy for countless conditions. Honey, like maple syrup, is also packed with antioxidants.
3) Agave Nectar: Agave nectar is produced from several species of Agave plants. It's sweeter than honey and great in coffee and tea. Plus, it's a perfect vegan substitute for honey!
4) Apple Sauce: It's great as a sweet snack when eaten alone, but next time think about using it as a sugar replacement in your next batch of cookies.
5) Banana: Another fruit that is great alone and for baking as a sugar replacement. Fruit naturally becomes sweeter as it ripens, so don't throw out those turning bananas! Puree them, and use them in your next baked treat.
These 5 are merely a few suggested substitutes that are easily found in most grocery stores. The truth is, when it comes to natural sweeteners, the list could go on and on! So do some research, experiment, and find what works best for you.