Spending most of your time sitting at a desk in front of a computer can put significant stress on your neck and back. Over the years, poor posture can cause osteoporosis, increase your risk of heart disease, and even cause you to feel depressed.
What can you do to relieve some pressure?
Stretching and standing helps alleviate tight areas in the body. Take breaks during your work day to get up and simply walk around to increase blood flow of oxygen to the brain and the muscles.
Yoga strengthens your muscles and increases flexibility. It also creates body awareness, and helps you notice when you’re slumping over. By practicing certain poses, you’ll learn what it feels like to have proper posture. In yoga, you continually breathe from your center, and in turn, that strengthens your core muscles. Your strong core also helps keep you up straight, therefore improving your posture.
O2 Fitness offers a variety of yoga classes for all fitness levels:
- Yoga Fusion. Appropriate for all levels, this class teaches you how to connect your mind and body with your breath.
- Vinyasa Yoga Mojo. This class features creative sequencing of standing and seated poses, twists, inversions, and more.
- Vinyasa Yoga. Customize your poses based on your experience level. Through this class, you’ll learn how to breathe through your movements.
- Stretch and Strength Yoga. Divided into two parts, the first is to build upper and lower body strength and the second is to release tension and deepen stretches.
- Silver Sneakers Yoga Stretch: Take elements of deep breathing and stretching techniques to relax the mind and body.
Drinking water is important to your overall health. Water alone does not help improve your posture, but drinking plenty of H2O cleans your system and nourishes your sore muscles.
With O2 Fitness’s free trial sign-up, what do you have to lose? Try out a yoga class and give your tired muscles a good stretch. Our instructors are patient and encouraging, giving you the most out of your workout.