PUMPKIN NUT MUFFINS:
Bake at 350, for 20 minutes
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (I use natural white flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs (I substitute by mixing 2 teaspoons baking powder to 2 tablespoons water)
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (I use soy milk or soy nog instead)
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine melted (I use smart balance light or earth balance)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar (I use organic natural sugar, or raw turbinado sugar)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- optional: 1/2 cup raisins (I don't use)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray 24 count muffin-pan.
2. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger into bowl.
3. In another large bowl, mix eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, molasses, vanilla, sugar, and pumpkin. Stir in the dry ingredients, all at once, just until moistened. Fold in nuts (and raisins). Spoon into muffin pan cups, filling almost to the top.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan and cool on wire rack.
TIPS for baking:
*1 egg= 1 tsp baking powder mixed with 1 tbsp water
*use unbleached flours and sugars:
-use organic natural non-bleached sugar or raw turbinado sugar instead of white sugar
-use natural white flour or whole wheat pastry flour (or a mixture of both) instead of white bleached