Written by: Linda Barmann, General Manager of O2 Fitness Cary
Why Stop Playing?…As kids, all we wanted to do was play. We couldn’t wait to get home and run, skip, ride our bike, or skateboard to the neighbor’s house.
Why does this mindset change as we age? Think of O2 Fitness as your “Playground for Big Kids.” This way you will always look forward to meeting your friends for some “Play Time”. Try not to view this as work. We do enough of that every day - we all just need to get moving more. Our bodies were made to be active and we are all lucky to have this ability and the choices to change things up in our “Playground."
So take the time and follow some of these simple guidelines to the "Big Kids Playground"..It is so important to incorporate weight bearing exercise as part of our weekly routine. The more you vary your routine, the more your body continues to improve. Take some time to lift weights and strengthen those bones at least 2 to 3 times a week along with cardio or group classes. This is the ideal way to cross train. Hopscotch/ Fours-square/ Dodge-ball watch out, because the gym is where big kids hang out :)
One way to get started right is to improve your first, and most important meal of the day: Breakfast. Try some of these easy and quick recipes:
- Wheat wrap with egg whites, spinach, tomatoes, green onions, avocado, and low fat cheese/salsa
- Whole grain waffle with peanut butter and banana
- Cheerios with vanilla soy milk and blueberries or any fruit
- Oatmeal with blueberries, strawberries, bananas, or any fruit
- Wheat toast with a poached egg, tomatoes, 2 small wedges of avocado, and cracked pepper. Yum!