Ate too much last night during the Super Bowl? Try this White Bean Soup for dinner tonight. It's low in calories, but it's also filling and full of flavor! This is a soup that will be sure to please!
This classic Italian recipe (minus the olive oil) is a hearty farm soup that can be served as a main course.
For an interesting variation, add chopped bitter greens like kale or spinach at the last minute. The greens will wilt from the heat of the soup and the white beans and bright greens will provide beautiful color contrast. The sprigs of rosemary can be left in for more flavor.
- 1lb dried white beans, soaked overnight
- 4 cups cold water
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 whole leeks, diced
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Place drained white beans and cold water in a pot.
- Simmer over medium heat, uncovered, for two hours.
- Keep beans covered with water at all times, adding more water if necessary.
- Add the vegetables and seasonings, simmer for one more hour and serve.
- Yield: 12 servings
- Serving size: 3/4 cup
- Calories: 107
- Fat Points: 1
- Sodium: 67 mg.
- Cholesterol: 0 mg